The Wenatchee River Bluegrass Festival Taylor Richards Scholarship was established in 2015 in memory of Taylor Richards. Taylor was killed in June 2010 while serving as a Marine Lance Corporal in Afghanistan. He epitomized the vision of the Board of Directors to establish an instructional youth camp, to be held during the annual festival, to nurture an appreciation of bluegrass in the next generation.
This renewable scholarship is available to individuals who have made a significant contribution to Taylor’s Camp for a period of at least two years.
Both original and renewal scholarship applications are due May 1; scholarship awards are announced on the third Saturday in June at the Wenatchee River Bluegrass Festival.
FIRST TIME APPLICANTS must meet the following criteria:
* Participate as an instructor at Taylor’s Camp for a minimum of two years immediately preceding the application year
* Make a significant contribution of time and effort to Taylor’s Camp for a minimum of two years immediately preceding the application year
* Graduate from high school or complete a state sanctioned home school program
* Be accepted to an accredited college or university
* Have a GPA of 2.75 or higher or evidence of the equivalent
* Complete a scholarship application form
* Submit three letters of recommendation (1 teacher; 1 community member; 1 bluegrass community member familiar with your contributions to bluegrass music)
RENEWAL APPLICANTS must meet the following criteria:
* Serve as a volunteer or instructor at Taylor’s Camp the summer prior to submitting the renewal application
* Maintain a collegiate GPA of 2.75 or higher
* Complete an application form
* Submit two letters of recommendation (1 college instructor; 1 community member from the city where the college attended is located